FFG MYTHS DEBUNKED
The Truth About Supplementation
If you’ve been to a gym or take interest in the fitness industry, chances are you’ve been offered some sort of supplementation product. This term refers to products and substances that can boost your performance, increase drive and ability and also enhance your body to reach it’s goals quicker. Like many industries, the one that surrounds fitness is often full of fakes and frauds simply trying to earn a quick buck from the products they sell to you. We at FFG have seen our fair share of supplements and feel a duty to share with you the good, the bad and the downright ridiculous stuff we’ve found along the way. So listen up and make sure you’re investing your money in the best and most necessary products on the market.
- WHEY PROTEIN: Protein is the key macronutrient for muscle production and growth but not always easy to consume, especially leading a busy lifestyle like we all do. This is the primary reason that supplements exist; to ‘supplement’ the food that we may not always have access to. Whey protein is more commonly extracted from milk or cheese and provides your body with natural muscle growth. Not just for the bodybuilders, whey protein is a good base supplement to start on for most body types. Muscle production will not only tone your body up but also help increase fat loss.
- MASS GAINERS: You’ve probably heard of mass gainers. Nearly always prescribed to people looking to add size and push those scales upwards, they’re normally high in carbs, protein and calories. An essential product in bulking. Be aware though; most mainstream mass gainers are full of sugar which make up the calorie count. Try and avoid hugely sugary products and go for a low sugar, high protein substance to keep you feeling alert and not crashing halfway through the day.
- AMINO ACIDS: Amino acids are known as the building blocks for protein synthesis and production (muscle growth). Protein plays a key role in nearly all biological processes in our bodies and BCAA’s (branched-chain amino acids) make up the foundation of this production and help speed up the process. Below are some essential amino acids that will revolutionise your gym performance and the results you see.
CREATINE: Creatine is a naturally-occurring amino acid (protein building block) that’s found in meat and fish, and also made by the human body in the liver, kidneys, and pancreas. It is essential in muscle growth and recovery, adding strength and overall size to your body. Normally obtained for these reasons, however those wishing to maintain muscle mass and generally boost their gym performance will sincerely benefit from this.
GLUTAMINE: Glutamine is produced in the muscles and is distributed by the blood to the organs that need it. This may help with gut function, the immune system, and other essential processes in the body, especially in times of stress. Glutamine is more for the performance athlete but is prescribed and recommended for a healthy functioning, well-rounded body.
HMB: Not known as an amino acid but definitely falls under this category. HMB (or β-Hydroxy β-Methylbutyrate) is a substance formed naturally when the body breaks down the amino acid leucine. It’s key function is to protect and repair muscle tissue. It is thought to do this by slowing muscle protein breakdown and speeding protein synthesis, and also by preserving the structural integrity of your muscle cells.
- ALL IN ONES: These types of product tend to contain a cocktail of ingredients that make up a rounded supplement full of most essential macronutrients. Often containing a mixture of protein, carbs and some essential fats, all in ones are a great starting supplement if you’re unsure on individual supplement functions. These products will usually also contain either creatine, glutamine, HMB or all three (see above), which considerably contribute to muscle growth, repair and maintenance.
- PRE-WORKOUT: This supplement is not necessarily key for growth and change of the human body, however it’s main purpose is to give you a massive boost in energy, stamina and productiveness. Often consumed before exercise, the main ingredient Beta alanine (an amino acid) leaves a tingling feeling in the skin, meaning that blood has been pushed to the surface displaying a massive increase in energy. This product is recommended for the busy-lifestyle gym goer, however it’s always handy to have a tub spare for a scoop when you’re feeling fatigued.
So there you have it. All the essential supplements that your body needs to progress in not only performance, but also natural shape and all-over physique enhancement. All products listed are sold to the highest standard at the cheapest prices from FFG Nutrition. Come take a look and change your life today.